In the upcoming weeks ExpertSender will be releasing a new whitepaper covering all aspects of advanced segmentation. In preparation for this, we’re posting this short article about different types of data that can be used for segmenting subscribers. Some marketers are stuck in the past, where segmenting subscribers was much more focused on demographic data, than behavioral.
Below are some examples of the data you could be using for segmentation. We hope it will at least give you some interesting ideas on expanding the scope of data you can use in your email program. And obviously we hope it will increase your appetite for the whole marketing piece we will be giving away for free soon.
– Subscribers who clicked, or opened certain messages or types and categories thereof
– Environments subscribers interacted with messages in (mobile, desktop, webmail) or specific types thereof (iPhone, Outlook, Gmail webmail, etc.)
– Subscribers who received certain messages, and subscribers who bounced back
– Social activity such as sharing or liking past email content on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, or other social networks
– Entire purchase history, and content of abandoned shopping carts
– Data gathered using web content mining mechanisms (lead scoring based on products browsed on website)
– Basic information, like email address, name, age, gender
– Additional custom information provided by the subscriber at signup
– Intelligence appends from external data providers, like TowerData (annual income, job title, etc.)
– Signup location, last location
– Shipping address, billing address
Preferences (gathering this data can be achieved by using preference center with questions similar/identical to the ones found on the initial sign up form):
– Frequency of receiving email communication
– Areas of interest
ExpertSender’s segmentation whitepaper will be published in the upcoming weeks. Be sure to check it out for more ideas, case studies, and examples of advanced segmentation. Contact us to see how ExpertSender can help your company better make use of your data, and create new, dynamic campaigns that increase revenue and drive sales.